Long regarded as a Boston institution, The Copley Plaza was formally opened on August 19, 1912, about 16 months after construction of the building began. Mayor of Boston John F. “Honey Fitz” Fitzgerald, President Kennedy’s grandfather, presided over a reception for more than 1,000 guests, including local and national dignitaries, civic leaders, captains of industry, and stage and movie stars. So prestigious was The Copley Plaza’s opening that rooms had been booked 16 months in advance.
It took 16 months and $5.5 million to build The Copley Plaza. Laborers earned 35 cents an hour, working 7 days a week. Because the site was a former wetland, workers drove 8,000 pilings to a depth of 70 feet.
$3.50 is what guests paid for a room at The Copley Plaza in 1912.